Can I use an High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI) cable with my Advanced HD/DVR Receiver?
Some Cogeco High-Definition (HD) receivers are compatible with High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI). While Cogeco only supplies the cable with certain receivers, we can support you if you need assistance. For your convenience, we provide HDMI wiring instructions as a guideline and this can be found by clicking here.
The reason we do not supply the HDMI cable with all of our recievers is:
- Not ALL receivers are compatible with an HDMI cable
- The cable that is provided with our receivers allows for optimum resolution (1080i resolution)
- Our HD channels have a maximum of 1080i resolution
- We provide S/PDIF audio cable which offers 5.1 Surround Sound
- The combination of both cable types allow the same quality sound and picture as an HDMI cable
- What is HDMI? HDMI supports, on a single cable, different video formats (including HD), up to 8 channels of digital audio and a Consumer Electronics Control (CEC) connection for operating multiple devices with one remote control handset.
- However, Cogeco HD channels have a maximum of 1080i resolution and Dolby 5.1 Surround Sound, so image and sound quality are the same on HDMI as with the video cable provided by Cogeco combined with S/PDIF audio connection.
- Why use S/PDIF for audio? If your television or sound system supports optical sound, the S/PDIF audio output may be used instead of the RCA stereo audio outputs (AUDIO R and L). S/PDIF offers a higher level of audio quality, including support for Dolby 5.1 surround sound.