It’s easy to replace your modem with the Self-Install Kit we sent you. The kit includes:
- Your new modem
- An Ethernet cable
- A coaxial cable
- A power cord
Step 1: Remove your old equipment
- Disconnect your existing modem. Begin by unplugging the coaxial cable from the back of the modem.
- Unplug the power supply from the electrical outlet and the back of the modem.
- If you have any Ethernet cables connected, unplug these from the modem as well.
Step 2: Connect your new modem
- Place your new modem in the same location as your old one.
- Connect the coaxial cable provided from the wall outlet to the cable connector at the rear of your modem. Hand-tighten the connectors to avoid damaging them.
- Connect the power cord from the modem to an active wall power outlet. This will start the modem synchronization process.
Good to know: If you connect your modem to a power bar, ensure that the power bar is always switched on.
Step 3: Activate your modem
Once all the modem’s lights are on, it's time to get your Wi-Fi credentials. There are 2 ways to do this:
- Using the Ethernet cable provided, you can connect your computer to your modem to register for My Account online.
- You can use your mobile device to register for My Account.
Step 4: Get your Wi-Fi credentials
- Log in to My Account.
- Select Internet.
- Select Wi-Fi Settings.
Step 5: Connect your wireless devices
You can now connect all your wireless devices. To learn how, refer to our Internet FAQs.
Step 6: Return your old modem
After connecting your modem and wireless devices, gather all the equipment that came with your original Cogeco modem, including the power cord/adapter and Ethernet cord. You will then need to:
- Place the old Cogeco equipment into the box provided, using newspaper or other paper to fill empty space.
- Seal the box shut with packing tape
- Affix the shipping label provided (with your name and address in the “From” field) over the original label on the package.
- Make note of the Canada Post tracking number, which starts with “7265.”
- Bring your package to a Canada Post counter.
Good to know:
- From the moment you receive the package to return your old modem free of charge, you have 5 business days to do so using the enclosed pre-paid postage stamp. After that time, the pre-paid postage will expire and you will have to pay for postage.
- To find a Canada Post location near you, visit canadapost.ca.