Technical Questions FAQ
Why is my Internet connection slow?
Several factors can affect the speed of your service. For example, you should be aware that the speed of your connection gets distributed among all the devices in your home (computers, smart TVs, phones, tablets, game consoles, etc.). Also, your speed varies depending on the capacity of each device.
The type and age of your devices can slow down the speed of your connection, and so can the number of applications running (the more apps you're running, the more speed you lose). Also, the number of things you're doing online at once can affect your speed.
To maximize your Internet speed, start by connecting your computer (or other device) directly to your modem using an Ethernet cable. Plus, you should verify that:
- The devices you're using don't have any performance issues
- If you're sharing your connection with others, it's not overloaded (try making a schedule for when people can do heavier-use activities online)
- Your firewall software is properly configured (if it isn't, it can cause a slowdown)
- Your modem has no signal problems
- Your browser's cache has recently been cleared
- Your operating system has recently been updated
You can test your service speed here, and then take steps to improve its performance by verifying the items above.