Internet Usage FAQ
How can I optimize my bandwidth usage?
If you're used to downloading audio or video content on your Wi-Fi devices, you've probably already noticed that this activity uses up a lot of your bandwidth. And since you're the only one able to manage how much bandwidth you use, here are some tips to help you decrease your usage:
- On Netflix, lower your bandwidth consumption by lowering the video quality; by changing the playback settings, you can easily "save" up to 6.3 GB per hour by opting for standard-quality resolution.
- Check whether there's file-sharing software, such as Dropbox, Apple iCloud, Microsoft OneDrive or Google Drive, installed on your computer, as these programs can use enormous amounts of bandwidth.
- Make sure your chat programs don't automatically accept file downloads.
- Only let people you trust use your computer.
- Disable or restrict file or printer sharing.
- Update your operating system regularly.
- Update your antivirus system regularly, as certain malware can consume a lot of your bandwidth.
- Finally, consider downloading a firewall program to limit bandwidth traffic by steering clear of this kind of malware.
You are responsible for your bandwidth usage. Please familiarize yourself with our High Speed Internet Service Acceptable Use Policy. There, you'll find important information about your service plan.