IP Relay Service
Cogeco IP Relay is a free service available to all Cogeco Home Phone subscribers.
Cogeco allows hearing-impaired and speech-impaired individuals to place and receive text-based relay calls from their personal computer. All you need to use Cogeco IP Relay is a computer with an internet connection and to register an IP Relay account with Cogeco. A Cogeco IP Relay operator will connect an IP Relay caller to a voice party. Simply type your conversation to a Cogeco IP Relay agent, who then reads your typed conversation to the other party. The Cogeco IP Relay agent then types the other party’s spoken words back to the IP Relay user.
To use Cogeco’s IP Relay service from your computer to a standard phone, register and log-in online at http://iprelay.cogeco.com. To register for Cogeco IP Relay, you will need to have a valid Cogeco Home Phone number.
To communicate from a standard phone to the computer of a Cogeco IP Relay customer, dial 1-855-308-5160. Please note that IP to IP calls are not supported.
Terms and Conditions
Terms of Service
This is an agreement between you and Cogeco Cable Canada LP/Cogeco Cable Québec General Partnership ("collectively Cogeco"). It sets out the terms and conditions (the "Service Terms") that apply to your use of the forborne IP relay service that Cogeco provides (the "Service"). The Service Terms, together with Cogeco rules and policies applying to the use of Cogeco services, including without limitation Cogeco’s General Terms and Conditions (Residential or Business, as the case may be) and High Speed Internet Acceptable Use Policy (if you have subscribed to Cogeco’s Internet Service), any terms stated on your bill and the prices, discount rates and other terms applicable to the Service of which Cogeco notifies you, form the agreement between you and Cogeco for the Service (the "Agreement").
For the purposes of these Service Terms, "you" refers to the person or business whose name appears on the Service registration and bill.
- Service Description
The Service is accessed through the Internet via a compatible device and a secure web page. You are responsible for obtaining the applicable Internet access service and compatible device required to access the Service. The Service is a text based form of message relay service that uses the Internet and compatible device to facilitate communication with hearing persons via an operator. Once a call is initiated by you, a specially trained operator will attempt to connect your call to the hearing person for whom the call is intended and once connected relay the conversation by voice. The Service is for individual use only. Any other use of the Service is strictly prohibited. Although the Service is intended to be available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, technical or service interruptions may arise which can result in the Service being temporarily unavailable. Cogeco makes no warranty that the Service will be uninterrupted or error free or that defects to the Service will be corrected. Cogeco may deny or limit the use of the service for any lawful reason.
- Excluded Call Types
The Service permits you to place certain Internet relay calls using the Service as set forth in the Cogeco website located at http://www.cogeco.ca/iprelay ("Service Web Site"). 900 pay-per-call and any other types of calls, of which Cogeco notifies you, are not permitted.
- 9-1-1 Limitations
Access to 9-1-1 via the Service has important specific limitations relative to Enhanced 9-1-1 service, which is available on Cogeco’s Digital Phone Service. Make sure that you and any users of the Service are familiar with the nature and limitations of 9-1-1 calls placed using the Service. The Service permits you to place certain Internet relay calls using the Service as set forth in the Cogeco website located at http://www.cogeco.ca/iprelay ("Service Web Site"). 900 pay-per-call and any other types of calls, of which Cogeco notifies you, are not permitted.
You acknowledge and agree that the Service has the following 9-1-1 limitations:
- since an IP Relay call can be placed through any Internet connection, the 9-1-1 operator may not know where you are calling from unless you provide accurate location information (address) when asked. As a result, in regard to a call to 9-1-1, you or any person using the Service or any services used in conjunction with the Service is responsible to provide complete and accurate information relating to the actual location of the emergency situation to the emergency services call operator;
- when a Service user places an emergency call, the Service user’ s name and registered home number appears on the workstation of the operator. Accordingly, you should keep your address information current with Cogeco as the operator may assume that you are at the address you submitted upon service registration if you are not able to speak during a 9-1-1call;
- 9-1-1 emergency calls made using the Service may take longer to be connected to the correct 9-1-1 response centre than calls made from a fix wireline phone; and
- when placing a 9-1-1 call, do not disconnect until told to do so by the operator, and place the call again if you are disconnected.
Without restricting any other indemnities set forth herein, you are responsible and shall indemnify Cogeco for, and save Cogeco harmless from and against, all charges, losses, costs, liabilities and damages of any kind whatsoever related to emergency services being dispatched to a location other than the location from which the call to 9-1-1 originated as a result of:
- any use by you of the Service that results in the location associated by Cogeco with a calling line identification being a location other than the location from which the call to 9-1-1 originated; or
- the failure by you or any person using the Service or any services used in conjunction with the Service to respond, or provide complete or accurate information, to a 9-1-1 or emergency call operator requesting a response or information in order to properly dispatch emergency services.
- Your Responsibilities
You are required to be properly registered via the Service Web Site and have a Cogeco billing account in order to use the Service. Your phone number must be the one that is currently on file with Cogeco.
You must obtain an Internet access service and provide compatible end user equipment for use with the Service.