A word from our President
Cogeco takes steps to keep customers connected during Coronavirus outbreak.
March 15, 2020
Our teams at Cogeco across Quebec, Ontario and the U.S. East Coast are all working hard to support our customers and our communities. During this COVID-19 crisis that affects each one of us, access to the Internet, TV and Telephony, as well as quality information via our radio stations, becomes of paramount importance. We are adapting our services to offer more flexibility to our customers and have transformed our radio programming to provide all the information necessary to follow developments related to this crisis. For more information, don’t hesitate to consult Cogeco Media website.
President and Chief Executive Officer, Cogeco
To all our customers
All the steps implemented by Cogeco.
- Until further notice, Cogeco will not terminate the services of customers unable to pay their bills due to disruptions caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Late payment fees will be waived temporarily if they are caused by a financial situation that is related to the coronavirus pandemic.
- Our customer service agents are available to better adapt Internet, TV or telephone plans to the needs of our customers.
- More than 75% of Cogeco Connexion’s customers already have unlimited Internet plans. To simplify the lives of our residential customers who are working from home due to the current situation and who do not already have an unlimited plan, Cogeco will make sure that there are no additional fees until April 30. At the same time, Cogeco is migrating its customers to higher speeds based on their needs.
- A high number of free previews of movie, family, and local news channels are being offered to Cogeco TV customers. The list of free preview channels is available here.
- Cogeco also voluntarily participates in the Connecting Families initiative, offering discounted Internet services to eligible lower income families.
- We keep on monitoring the situation and we will update our website and Facebook (Ontario - Québec) with any further developments.
- We are committed to meeting or exceeding the government's guidance during this crisis as the health and safety of our customers and employees remains our top priority.
An update about our technicians
Our field technicians play a critical role in the installation and repair of our services for all our customers. While we continue to prioritize the need to keep our customers connected, our priority remains keeping our customers and employees safe and secure. As such we have implemented the following changes.
As per the guidance from the Canadian government and for the protection of our employees and customers, moving forward we can only support self installation product options. We offer a large number of services available via a self install setup.
Therefore, our technicians will be able to:
- Perform a repair to keep a customer connected.
- Set up a new connection whereby the installation will be accomplished outside the home only. The equipment will then be delivered to the home to continue the self installation process .
- Move an existing customer’s services to a new address (if self install is not available).
A technician will not be able to support:
- The addition of new equipment at a customer’s premises (we can only support self install equipment).
- Any wiring changes inside the home for additional outlets.
We continue to be dedicated to offering you the best service and support in these challenging times.
The safety of our customers and employees, as well as others around you, is our priority. Please note that all of our stores will be closed temporarily.
Ensuring your online security
Cyber Security affects us all
As COVID-19 continues to take over our lives and interrupt our everyday habits, it is important to remember that while we work on keeping ourselves safe and secure, the same should be said for our online activities. We must all be vigilant to misinformation through criminal activities or phishing attacks using COVID-19 as bait through phone calls, pop-ups to download new apps or even emails. At Cogeco, our employees and customers remain our top priority. That is why we want to ensure you are protecting yourselves during your online activities, whether it’s streaming movies, gaming or getting updates from loved ones. Below you will find some tips and tricks to help you stay vigilant:
How it works
Cyber attackers send an email, a text message or even make phone calls claiming to be from a legitimate organization with information about the Coronavirus.
- You may be asked or tricked into opening an attachment or clicking on a link to see something very important, urgent or special about the Coronavirus. If you click the attachment or the link, you could be downloading malicious code onto your device.
- You may be directed to a fake website that looks legitimate but in fact, is aimed at stealing your credentials.
- You may get a phone call asking you to share your personal information or send your money somewhere. The consequences are the same: unauthorized access to your personal, financial and business data, unauthorized access to your device, loss of money, loss of your data, identity theft, blackmailing, etc.
What to do
- Check for “red flags” in the email:
- From and To:
− Who is the sender and who are the recipients? Do you know them?
− Make sure that the sender’s email address has a valid username and domain name.
- Date and Time:
− Does it make sense?
− Is there any “sense of urgency” or is it “too good to be true”? Are there any typos in the subject or text?
− Make sure that the URL shared in the email or message is spelled correctly.
- Hyperlink and Attachment:
− Are they relevant?
− Directly type the URL in your browser instead of clicking the link in the email or message.
− Hover your mouse over the link to check if it directs to the right website.
- From and To:
- Use recommended antivirus and antimalware software on your personal devices and update them regularly.
- Apply updates to your personal devices and the applications on your personal devices.
Their words, not ours.
Let me express for me and my husband (both over 70) our heartfelt thanks for your hard work at this time to keep our electronic connections operational. It makes a lot of difference to our self isolation to be able to keep in touch with friends and family members. Please express to all your staff our thanks for their continuing work under trying circumstances.
Diane and Rod King
I received such good customer service from the representative. She was kind and helpful and came up with the best bundle for my needs.
THANK YOU! You are the BEST customer service person I have ever had the privilege of dealing with in any situation! I hope Cogeco knows the value you bring to their business!
I have been with Cogeco for over 30 years. In the past I have had some problems, but their technicians have always been able to quickly find solutions to solve them. I have all of the channels that I like, as well as the Super Écran network. I recommend Cogeco to anyone who’s looking for a truly high-quality service. I am now retired and very satisfied with the services that I use daily. I hope that you will be too!
Hi, I felt I should write to thank the technician who came to re-set our TV service today. We were very pleased with his friendly attitude and
impressed with his knowledge. He took the time to properly set up our various remotes as well. It’s employees like him who keep us with Cogeco when other companies come calling.
Parry Sound, ON
Cogeco is simply the best!!! Wonderful service person!! Problem fixed within minutes. Thank you Cogeco!!!
Ancaster, Hamilton, ON